The Writing Box
$149.00 USD– Sold Out
- An analog box for today's modern writers.
- Crafted from solid walnut wood and vegetable-tanned leather.
- Designed to carry analog writing tools and notebooks. The unique angled cover allows you to write comfortably on journeys.
For inspirations on Instagram, click here.
WRITING IS THE PAINTING OF THE VOICE.
Inspired by Thomas Jefferson's portable writing desk, this is the perfect gift for a writer or creative.
To see the detailed history and plans of Thomas Jefferson's Writing Box, click here.
We have collaborated with Walden Woodworkers Co. to build this beautiful and unique writing box.
*Due to the nature of wood, each box will vary in color, making each box a bit unique. (some of them are plainer, some textured) Please note we are unable to honor color requests. Also, we are adding current batch pictures from our recent production. Please review them carefully.
- Six elastic pen slots
- One big elastic pocket size notebook holder
- One small elastic pocket size notebook holder
- Four uppper elastic slots for clips/ papers /rulers
- The base fits two A5 notebooks, or TN, papers or documents
- Outside of the top cover fits a flat lay A5 notebook
- Shown in the picture is a Hobonichi Cousin (not included)
- Accessories shown in the pictures are not included
- A modern version of the portable writing desks.
- Outside: 32 x 26 x 7 cm (12.5 x 10.2 x 2.7 inches)
- Inside: 29 x 23 x 5 cm (11.6 x 9.2 x 2 inches)
- Made from solid walnut wood
- Nickel plated brass accessories
- 15 degree angled cover to write comfortably on
- Vegetable tanned leather inside the cover
- Comes in a thick cardboard box
- Finished with natural linseed & tung oil
- Package cover designed by Mathias Johansson
- Made by Walden Woodworkers Co.
Setup Videos Notes
- It is important to keep the lid of the box closed, when not using it.
- This box made of natural wood and due to the nature of the wood and depending on your location, you can see warping. (mostly in winter). So it is acceptable that you can see a gap up to 4-5 mm gap between sides. Again it depends on your region, climate... It is not a production problem. A seasonal difference in humidity and weather.
- If you see this gap, you can put some heavy items and leave them for a while.
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
Lately, I've found that working with paper, and pen, as opposed to digital input, has unlocked some of my creativity. Through the pandemic, I did a lot to avoid looking at glowing screens, while still doing my creative works. On the other side of that, I want to travel, and take all my things with me. The Writing Box is perfect, paired with the leather carrying strap. It's very nicely made, and has the right amount of storage, and options thereof in the lid.
I did add a very thin piece of foam under the felt, so I could quietly is the box to roll dice at games. Clasps, and hardware don't match, which would bother some people, but I like it. The product doesn't feel mass produced, and has that "made in the garage" quality, without sacrificing any actual quality. I had to lurk the website to get one, checking twice a day for a couple of weeks. If you wait for a notification email, they'll sell out before you get it.
Well worth the money and effort, and I use it every day. Plan to take it on many adventures. Thanks.
I am absolutely thrilled with my Writing Box. The quality internally and externally is stunning. I love it.
This is my second Writer’s Box. My first one had a problem latching. After giving me some ideas to try, the Galen Leather team replaced my Writing Box with this new one! It’s just as beautiful as the first with a working latch! I love everything about it! I would like it to be just a little bit deeper because I tend to stuff my journals a little too much, but it’s still a very beautiful piece that I will cherish for years to come! I have purchased around a dozen items from Galen Leather so far and each one has its own unique use. The Writing Box is now my Journal Box and I store my current journal supplies in it. It’s perfect for that! I can’t wait to spend a day journalling at my favorite coffee shop!
I fell in love with this writer’s box the first time I saw its picture and immediately ordered one as a present for myself. It is magnificent! I store my current stationery supplies inside and use it almost daily. The small inside props hold the lid up at a very nice angle for writing; no more hand cramps!
This piece of art is truly spectacular. I got this for Christmas after pining for it for months and I must admit, I screamed when I unwrapped it and only continued squealing the further along I went. The craftsmanship is top of the line, the details pristine, this writing box is a gift I will cherish for the rest of my life. It is truly worth the money and will make any writing nerd over the moon. Thank you Galen Leather for such beautiful product that delivers above and beyond, right down to the box it is sent in.
It's a beautiful box!!! Finally, I have an overview of things. I just need to find time to write. Beautiful product, color, nice design. When I fill it up, it's pretty heavy. I have to buy ,,Leather Carry On Kit,,. I had read the comments before and I was worried if everything would be fine. Will it manage the long journey to Slovakia. But it was precisely wrapped and It is as I imagined. Thank you and I recommend :-) ...this was not my first purchase in Galen Leather and certainly not the last.
The box itself is beautiful. But imagine my surprise when I noticed someone used black permanent marker to cover spots on the metal label on the front of the box. The entire metal label appears to have part of the black rubbed off! I may not have noticed it if they didn't try to color a large part of it with black permanent marker. Shoddy workmanship for a beautiful piece! Would have expected it to be perfect for what I paid! Very disappointed!
I had been looking for a way to keep my pens organized, since I kept losing them on the top of my desk. I was thinking more along the lines of a pen holder, until my husband sent me a link to this beautiful writer's box. Now I have a place to keep my pens, and cartridges and few other things that are easy to lose track of on a busy desktop, and it's become a pleasant start of the workday ritual, to open my box, and choose my pen; and in the evening a gentle close to the work day, as I put my pen away. I love wooden boxes and this one is especially pleasing.
I also want to mention the pleasant emails from Yunus, explaining about the company, and reporting on the the progress of my box. Very nice, thank you.
The Writing Box is my first Galen Leather splurge of 2021. I delayed in writing this review because I wanted to put the box through its paces. First, it is a beautiful, sturdy, and well made quality item. From the clasp to the pen loops, from the felt-lined bottom to the leather liner behind the pen and stationery loops, no detail has been left to chance. Even the Walden's Woodworkers nameplate is strategically placed to act as a stop to keep journals from sliding off the writing slope. It's roomy enough for a large journal, fountain pens, a wallet, postcards, washi tape and other stationery, yet small enough for on-the-go journaling and letter writing.
I've used it in bed, on my desk, on the couch while watching tv. The Writing Box's slope has the perfect angle to make writing elegant and easy in any circumstance. I would recommend The Writer's Box to anyone looking for an exquisite addition to their office.
Most of the items are handmade to order and usually take a minimum of 1 week to dispatch. Out of stock items mean, not in the production cycle and generally re-stocking in 2-3 weeks. You can subscribe to the in-stock notification on the product page. Good things take time. We appreciate your patience!
We ship worldwide. All items are sent via our shipping partners UPS/Fedex. Your items may need to be signed for upon receipt.
Due to security reasons, we cannot ship to PO boxes.
Some items are ready for shipment in our workshop, located in Istanbul. In stock items dispatch within 6-7 working days after payment has cleared using our shipping partners, UPS & FedEx. If the item is not in stock, then we will need to make your order.
Deliveries to USA addresses will take 3-4 days. For the UK and Europe, 2-3 days. To Australia, 6-7 days. For the rest of the world, expect a maximum of 7 working days.
- Buyers are responsible for customs duties. There are no additional taxes for goods being delivered to the USA. Most countries, except the USA, are subject to VAT (value added tax) and customs duties. These are the responsibility of the recipient. Since rates vary by country and by what was ordered.
- Shipping fees are automatically calculated during the checkout process. See your checkout for shipping options. As an example, a small journal's shipping fee starts at US$9.80.
- HS Tariff Code for Leather Goods 420221 (You can check your country import regulations with this code)
Returns - Cancellations
- Items (except personalized items) can be returned for a full refund within 7 days of receipt. Buyer is responsible for the Shipping costs. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have before placing an order.
- Due to all items are made to order, after receiving your order, we immideatly start to make your items. We don't accept cancellations/changes after orders placed.
- Products suitable for personalization, are shown on the product pages.It is and additional option.
- Currently, we can't customize the wooden items.
- If you want a monogram option on your item please select it from choose box at the right side of the page.
- The Monogram default position will be on the front right bottom corner. Up to 3 characters.
- Up to 3 characters you can personalize your item with ; A....Z Capital letters 0....9 numbers . , & ! # - _ @ / : * punctuation.
- Font and height, the default for this listing is Times New Roman, 1 cm high, same as the lead picture.
WHY SHOP AT Galen?
SEEN ON INSTAGRAM